In the second half of the 19th century, a natural color to give butter a nice yellow color was the most important product of Venlo pharmacist Lodewijk van der Grinten. He supplied that to farmers in the area and later also to the first margarine factories. The oldest written proof of this dates from 1877. Around 1900 this activity had grown in size to such an extent that a special factory was built in Venlo where Louis’ son Frans continued the production with a single employee and from where butter coloring was practically delivered worldwide. With the money that was earned, among other things, three sons of Frans van der Grinten were able to study (all of them earned a doctorate in chemistry) and later search for new opportunities and other possibly interesting products for the company. Investigation and research were held in high regard by the family. As well as quality and reliability, both for the products to be delivered and in doing business. The company continued to produce the butter coloring until 1970.